Queens Park Rangers are on the brink of signing Julio Cesar after previously thinking it would not be possible to tempt the Inter Milan goalkeeper to Loftus Road.
Sky Sports earlier on Tuesday revealed the veteran shot-stopper was in London to hold talks and a deal could soon be completed, much to the shock of QPR boss Mark Hughes
Brazil international Cesar was a key part of Inter's UEFA Champions League win two years ago but now looks set to leave the Italian giants.
"There's nothing concluded yet," Hughes said after Tuesday night's win over Walsall in the Capital One Cup. "There are a number of papers that need to go back.
"We're not at a point where we can actually say it's a done deal. The intention is there obviously if we can but at the moment it's not concluded.
"I said I wanted to have two quality goalkeepers this window if at all possible. Sometimes when opportunities present itself you want to pursue them.
"When you get an opportunity to possibly bring a player of the quality Julio Cesar's quality, with his playing record and his mentality, then I think you have to pursue to its conclusion.
"I think when we started the process we probably never thought there was an opportunity or chance he would be able to come here. If we are able to conclude it, we'll be delighted."