O'Neill - No Kilgallon bids
Sunderland manager's priority is bringing in new signings
Last Updated: July 21, 2012 4:25pm
Matthew Kilgallon: Sunderland defender had been linked with a move to Blackburn Rovers
Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill insists there has been no interest from Blackburn Rovers in defender Matt Kilgallon.
The 28-year-old has struggled to make an impact at the Stadium of Light after his arrival from Sheffield United in 2010, but made 10 Premier League appearances in the second half of last season following O'Neill's appointment as manager.
However, the signing of Carlos Cuellar on a free transfer has prompted speculation about Kilgallon's future and he has missed Sunderland's trip to South Korea due to a minor injury.
Blackburn had been linked with a bid for the stopper, but O'Neill says his priority is to bring more players in, rather than reduce his squad.
"I genuinely have not heard anything about Matt Kilgallon going to Blackburn. That story is complete news to me!" said O'Neill in the Sunderland Echo.
"At the moment we are looking to bring players in and that's what we are working on.
"We have targeted a few players and we are in the throes of that at the moment. But as things stand, there's nothing new to report in that direction."