Sam Allardyce has admitted West Ham have given up on their hopes of signing Andy Carroll and rejected reports of an interest in Dimitar Berbatov.
Sky Sports revealed earlier on Tuesday that England international Carroll has been told that he does not figure in Brendan Rodgers' immediate plans, but is reluctant to leave on a permanent basis.
The £35million striker has been targeted by former club Newcastle, who have seen an initial loan bid rejected by the Reds and are considering whether to return with an improved offer.
The Hammers have also been linked with the 23-year-old and while Allardyce admitted that discussions had taken place with the Reds, they proved fruitless and the Upton Park boss is now moving on to other targets.
He told Sky Sports News HD: "I think that we're not in a situation where we can secure a deal with Andy or Liverpool at the moment.
"We talked to them, we had some negotiation. But at the moment there is nothing progressing forward on Andy coming to West Ham.
"Andy is yet to make his mind up where his future lies and the negotiation with Liverpool hasn't been a situation where we've been able to agree.
"We'll just leave it as it is and move on with other players, as we have been doing on a daily basis through the summer."
Another striker to be linked with a switch to East London is Manchester United forward Dimitar Berbatov, with the Bulgarian widely expected to leave Old Trafford this summer.
But Allardyce has flatly rejected suggestions that the languid forward, who has been tipped for a move to Serie A, could be on his radar.
The West Ham boss added: "That's pure speculation in the media. I haven't had any contact with Sir Alex.
"There was a statement from Dimitar saying he's available for £5million. Everybody knows we're looking for a striker so they say we're in for him, but I've not had any conversations with Sir Alex."