Laudrup - Sinclair talks on hold
New boss urges winger to concentrate on Olympics
Last Updated: July 13, 2012 9:36am
Scott Sinclair: Entering the final year of his contract at Swansea
Michael Laudrup is keen for Scott Sinclair to stay at Swansea but is content to wait until the winger has returned from Olympic duty with Team GB before entering contract talks.
Sinclair is out of contract at the Liberty Stadium next summer and has been linked with several other clubs including Tottenham and Fulham, while former Swans boss Brendan Rodgers is thought to want him at Liverpool.
Negotiations over the 23-year-old's future were put on hold when Rodgers departed the Welsh club for Anfield.
New boss Laudrup is planning to reopen discussions with the former England Under 21 international but will wait until he returns from representing Great Britain at the London Games.
He told Wales Online: "It's the last year of his contract and it's a special situation - not only for him but in general when you have players with only one more year to go.
"But I imagine we will have to wait until he's back. For now we have to leave them to concentrate on the Olympics and when they come back we'll talk about it."
Sinclair is one of three Swansea players included in Stuart Pearce's Olympics squad, with Joe Allen and Neil Taylor also called up.
Laudrup added: "Of course I would like Scott to stay - the three Olympians are important players for us.
"They showed it at the highest level last year, they had done very well before in the Championship, but now they've shown they can do it at the highest level then it's normal there is interest from other clubs."
Sinclair is happy to speak to the new manager once he has returned from representing Great Britain.
He added in the Daily Star: "When I get back to Swansea, after the Games, I'll speak to him and we'll have talks then."
Laudrup could be without Sinclair until up to five days before the start of the new Premier League season, depending on how Team GB fare in the tournament, while Taylor and Allen could come back even later if they are involved in Wales' friendly against Bosnia-Herzegovina on August 15th.
The manager said: "They are not here for the pre-season and if it's worst case for us, and the best case for them, and they get to the final and with the Wales game they could only get here on the 16th which is only 48 hours before our game in the league.
"That's not good for us, but it's good for the club to have players going to the Olympics and we have to see it from that point of view.
"The league doesn't finish after the first or second game so they will catch up. We are talking about three regulars from last season. I don't know them personally but they know everyone here, they are not three new players who have to fit in and get to know team-mates, they will catch up quickly.
"We don't want injuries, but they are a part of football. You just have to see what happens."