Robbie Keane feels Republic of Ireland could not have prepared better for Euro 2012 and admits his side were beaten by 'superior teams' following their early exit.
The post-mortem into Ireland's pointless campaign in Poland and Ukraine was under way on Tuesday, amid accusations Giovanni Trapattoni's men embarrassed themselves on their return to the biggest stage.
The manner of Ireland's exit - one goal scored, nine conceded - has also led to criticism of Trapattoni's preparation and tactics.
There have been claims some of his players were unhappy with a rigorous pre-tournament training camp - something that had echoes of England's 2010 World Cup debacle.
But captain Keane, who insisted there was "not a chance" of Trapattoni being ousted as manager, said: "Everything has been fine. There are no excuses.
"We can stand here and say this, that and the other.
"We couldn't have prepared better than we had.
"We've been beaten by teams that are superior to us. That's it, simple as that."
LA Galaxy forward Keane, who had waited a decade for another crack at a major finals, did not shy away from the fact the last week and a half had been as bad a spell as he had known during his 120-cap career.
"Of course," said the striker, who may yet be one of a number of the squad to retire from international football in the coming weeks.
"If you don't get something out of a tournament or at least get a few points on the board, it's certainly disappointing."
Keane also scoffed at suggestions Ireland should have torn up the game plan from their successful qualifying campaign once they arrived in Poland and Ukraine.
"That's just going against everything we've done in the last four years," said the 31-year-old. "The way we've played, we've played for four years under 'Trap'.
"It would be wrong to go into a tournament and try to change it."