Former AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso has signed a two-year deal with FC Sion in Switzerland.
The 34-year-old left Milan after a 13-year stay at the San Siro and his signature will be regarded as a major coup for the Swiss Super League outfit.
Gattuso was confirmed as a Sion player in a press conference on Friday and revealed money was not a motivating factor in the move.
He told reporters: "It's not a question of money. One of the reasons why I chose FC Sion is because that it's close to home.
"I've come here to FC Sion to win and to compete with FC Basel for the title. Sion's president has promised that we will have a competitive squad, and so far it seems like it."
Sion sporting director Marco Degennaro has also announced ambitious intentions to move for another Italian World Cup winner in the form of Alessandro Del Piero.
Built around him
But for now Degennaro is happy to have added the two-time UEFA Champions League winner.
"The new Sion will be built around him. Gattuso got on immediately well with the president," he told Radio Mana Mana.
"Del Piero to Sion? It would be beautiful but we have to keep both feet on the ground."
The news will come as a disappointment to Rangers fans who were buoyed by recent comments from Gattuso suggesting he hoped to return to the Ibrox club, for whom he signed back in 1997.
But any ambitions to return to Rangers were scuppered by the uncertainty surrounding the club's financial position.
Gattuso added: "I thought it would be the right thing to go to Scotland because that's where my career started and my wife is born there. But unfortunately it couldn't be like that."