O'Neill close to Clarets move

Mansfield accept offer from Burnley for young defender

Eddie Howe: Could strengthen his Clarets squad with young defender Luke O'Neill

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Mansfield defender Luke O'Neill is in talks over a move to Burnley, the Conference club has confirmed.

It is understood a deal for the 20-year-old former Leicester right-back is close, even though Eddie Howe's Clarets are yet to confirm their interest.

Stags boss Paul Cox says the club accepted an offer from the Championship side earlier this week.

Offer

He told Mansfield's official website: "Luke will be leaving. On Monday an offer was accepted from Burnley.

"The offer received matched our value of Luke and the chairman (John Radford) has said that the money we receive can be used to spend on players.

"It's a move that will suit all parties. We will have a decent fee and Burnley will have a good player."

Meanwhile, Howe will only receive a portion of the procedes from Jay Rodriguez's transfer to Southampton for strengthening his Burnley squad for the coming season.

Former England Under-21 striker Rodriguez completed his move to Saints on Sunday for an undisclosed fee reported to be in the region of £6million.

However, with a shortfall of £4million showing in the Clarets' budget from last year, newly-appointed joint chairmen John Banaszkiewicz and Mike Garlick insist the club must proceed prudently.

Garlick said: "I think it's fair to say, ultimately, that the majority (of the fee) has to go back into the day-to-day running of the club and the costs for next season.

"We will manage to recycle some of the fee to make that available for Eddie to strengthen the team for next season and he's been made aware of that already."

Banaszkiewicz added: "We can't have huge debts like some of the clubs and find ourselves like Rangers or Portsmouth were this year. We've got to weigh-up both being ambitious and being a little bit careful. Obviously there will be some money to pour back into the club and we hope to capitalise."

No-risk strategy

Banaszkiewicz and Garlick do not foresee any complications arising from their role as joint chairmen of Burnley.

The London-based businessmen - both Lancashire natives and life-long Clarets fans - were introduced to the media on Tuesday having been appointed to replace Barry Kilby, who stood down due to health issues following 13 years at the helm.

Garlick and Banaszkiewicz have worked alongside each other on the Turf Moor board for the past two years and believe their alliance can be of great benefit to the Championship outfit.

"We think it's a no-risk strategy," said Garlick. "We've proven we work together and we're good friends so we think it can work well for the club and ourselves."