West Ham bid for Holt
Interest in Norwich target man intensifies after transfer request
Last Updated: June 3, 2012 1:36pm
Grant Holt: The Norwich striker is the subject of a £4million bid from West Ham
Sky Sports sources understand that West Ham have made a £4million bid for Norwich striker Grant Holt.
Hammers boss Sam Allardyce wants Holt to spearhead the club's attack following their return to the Premier League.
The 31-year-old had a transfer request rejected last month and appears keen to bring his time with the Canaries to an end despite enjoying three impressive years with the club.
He helped Norwich to back-to-back promotions before scoring 15 Premier League goals as the Carrow Road club comfortably retained their top-flight status last season.
But with manager Paul Lambert already having walked out on the club to become the new Aston Villa boss, there is some uncertainty at Norwich.
West Ham could also be in a position to offer Holt a more lucrative contract as well as the prospect of a more fashionable base to ignite the forward's England ambitions.
But Holt's agent Lee Payne insists the desire to leave Norwich stems from the fact that the player was told he would not be getting a contract extension at the club due to his age.
He places the blame firmly with Canaries chief executive David McNally.
"David bluntly turned around and said 'you're too old so forget a third year'," said Payne.
"He has got two years left on his contract and all he really wanted - before he even spoke about money - was a third year.
"He wanted to finish his career at Norwich, but being told 'you're too old', I just think it was the wrong thing to do."
McNally has denied the speculation, writing on Twitter: "Just for the record, we have not received a £4m bid for Grant from West Ham as apparently is being suggested."