Derry slams FA ban decision
It's bizarre, says QPR man
Last Updated: April 12, 2012 9:00pm
Shaun Derry: Has criticised the FA for not overturning the decision to send him off at Old Trafford
QPR midfielder Shaun Derry has blasted the Football Association for their decision to uphold his red card at Old Trafford.
Derry was expecting the FA to rescind his suspension for pulling back Manchester United's Ashley Young in Sunday's 2-0 defeat on the grounds that the winger was offside at the time.
But to his dismay the referee's decision was upheld and the 34-year-old, who missed Wednesday's victory over Swansea due to the ban, has risked further action by slamming the FA.
Derry told the mixlr official QPR call-in on Thursday: "I thought it was a foregone conclusion that it would be overturned and I would be available for last night. Everyone thought the FA would put it to bed that way.
"I lined up in the training session to play, then I got a call from our assistant manager Mark Bowen who said it had been turned down and I was absolutely gobsmacked. To miss out on the next game is ridiculous really.
"The e-mail we got back from the FA was one line telling me my appeal had not been successful.
"That's as far as the e-mail went - there was no explanation as to why it was not overturned, or even any indication of why I got sent off in the first place. The whole scenario is quite bizarre really.
"It was the single highlight of my career to lead a Premier League side out at Old Trafford - perhaps the pinnacle of my career. So I was bitterly disappointed to say the least. It is a tough pill to swallow."