Kean scotches Givet rumours
Blackburn boss says defender is now ready to play a role
Last Updated: April 7, 2012 11:26am
Gael Givet: Blackburn defender has not made a first-team appearance since early February
Steve Kean has dismissed rumours that a contract clause has been the reason for Gael Givet's recent absence from the Blackburn Rovers team.
Givet, who underwent heart surgery in December, has not made a first-team appearance for Rovers since being sent off at Arsenal in early February.
There has been speculation that Givet would be entitled to a new contract at Ewood Park if the 30-year-old continues to feature for Blackburn.
However, Kean insists the form of Grant Hanley and a fitness issue for Givet have led to the French defender's omission from his plans.
"There is not a thing in it," said Kean. "Gael Givet signed a contract last year and it was a fresh contract.
"There is no automatic extensions and that is not a factor why Gael is not playing.
"It's the emergence of Grant Hanley and that Gael's little hamstring injury took a bit longer than we thought to clear up.
"There is no truth in any of that.
"He is back, looking fresh and bright and it is always good to have a fit Gael Givet in the squad. He is the sort of character we want. He is a real warrior."