Schalke make offer to Raul
Proposed new deal emailed to Spanish star
Last Updated: March 1, 2012 5:11pm
Raul: The striker is reported to want a two-year deal and is said to have only been offered 12 months
Schalke manager Horst Heldt has confirmed the club have made a new contract offer to veteran Spanish striker Raul.
The former Real Madrid star's current deal expires at the end of the season and talks over an extension have been taking place for several months.
Schalke have now sent Raul an offer via email, after both parties were unable to make time for a meeting, and they are awaiting a reply from the 34-year-old's representatives.
"We had planned to meet, but we both have an extremely busy schedule at the moment," said Heldt.
"We don't always have to meet in order to submit a proposal and we have modern means of communication."
Raul, 34, is reported to want a two-year deal, while Schalke are said to have only offered a 12-month extension and the proceeds from a farewell game at Veltins Arena.
The Spaniard joined Schalke in the summer of 2010 after 18 trophy-laden years at Real Madrid and time is running out for the fourth-placed Bundesliga club to secure his services.
But Heldt, who would like to arrange a meeting later in March, said: "There's absolutely no hurry, because so far we are both on schedule."