Angry Sandaza blasts Rangers

Spaniard unimpressed after transfer farce

Francisco Sandaza: Saw a late transfer deadline day move to Gers fall through

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

St Johnstone striker Francisco Sandaza has hit out at his treatment by Rangers after seeing his proposed transfer deadline day move to Ibrox fall through.

The Spanish frontman had turned down a pre-contract offer from Ally McCoist's side earlier in the transfer window, declaring his intention to see out the season at McDiarmid Park before seeking a more lucrative deal in the summer.

Then on deadline day Sandaza received a phone call from the club asking him to fly to Glasgow from his family home in Madrid to negotiate a late deal following star striker Nikica Jelavic's departure to Everton.

However, the 27-year-old claims the Gers kept him waiting before pulling out of the deal.

Let down

He told the Daily Record on Wednesday evening: "I received a call from them yesterday at about five o'clock in the afternoon. We agreed about the terms more or less then they told me to wait 15 or 20 minutes. They said they would phone me back and tell me which flight I had to catch.

"But no-one called. I was waiting and waiting for the call but it didn't come and I realised I wasn't going to get the chance to go there and sign.

"I don't know what they were discussing but they decided not to sign me. Finally, after 10 o'clock the guy called and said they had decided not to sign anyone to replace Jelavic.

"I felt very let down because everyone would love to play for Rangers. But I am feeling betternow. All I can do is focus on playing for St Johnstone for the rest of the season."

Rangers had not found a replacement for Jelavic when the transfer window closed on Tuesday and Sandaza feels they will only have themselves to blame it if costs them the title.

He added: "Rangers have acted very poorly. They have not behaved like a big club - they are acting like a very small club.

"What they have done is wrong because they should have a replacement for Jelavic.

"Now they don't have anyone so if they lose the title it will be all their own fault."

Belief

But manager McCoist is adamant his side can still defend the title without the Croatian.

He said: "I wouldn't and shouldn't be manager if I didn't believe we can still win the championship.

"It's going to be a testing and tough time ahead but, of course, I believe we can do it and we have the boys who can get the goals required."