Rodgers agrees Swans deal

Manager expects to sign three-year contract in coming days

Brendan Rodgers: Happy at Swansea and set to sign new deal following talks with chairman

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers is poised to put pen to paper on a new three-year contract at the Liberty Stadium following productive talks with chairman Huw Jenkins.

A deal has been agreed in principle and Rodgers expects everything to be finalised in the next few days to commit his future to the Welsh club until the summer of 2015.

The Northern Irishman has operated on a one-year rolling contract since moving to Swansea 18 months ago.

He guided the Welsh club to the top flight and has overseen an impressive start to life in the Premier League with the club lying 13th in table, leading Jenkins to try and tie the former Reading and Watford manager to a long-term contract.

Rodgers said on Thursday: "I spoke with the chairman today and we have agreed everything in principle, we just need to draft up the paperwork and be presented with it over the weekend, then it will be signed and done and that will be fantastic.

"It was clear to me I wanted to be here. There was very little to discuss and I will be proud to move forward with the project.

"Ultimately my job is to make Swansea a sustainable Premier League club, that's the challenge.

"It looked a massive challenge to get promoted, but since then we have shown we can compete at this level. Although we are riding high and playing well, the objective is to stay in the league, that would be monumental and give the club more money to invest in the team.

"But the goal is firstly to make Swansea sustainable and you can obviously build from that."

Tate return

Rodgers and Swansea's next Premier League fixture sees Chelsea visit the Liberty Stadium on Tuesday, but before then they travel to Bolton in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Rodgers will include Alan Tate in his squad for the first time since the defender broke his leg in a golf buggy accident in August.

The 29-year-old has made three appearances for the reserves after completing his recovery a month ahead of schedule.

And Rodgers said: "He is working very well. He has been out for a long time, but he is a wonderful pro and I have no doubt he will come into the squad this weekend.

"He was outstanding last season and was just unfortunate that he had the freak accident.

"It was a long road back for him and to be out that long was tough, but he dealt with it well and it's a credit to him and the medical team that he is back in contention earlier than expected."