Tevez not motivated by money
Argentine's camp insist almost £10m loss is not priority concern
Last Updated: January 24, 2012 11:15pm
Carlos Tevez: The striker has not played for Manchester City since September
Carlos Tevez's representatives have insisted the striker is not motivated by money in the wake of revelations that his ongoing transfer saga has cost the Argentine almost £10million.
Etihad Stadium chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak earlier on Tuesday evening outlined a determined stance that the wantaway 27-year-old would not be sold unless his £30m-plus transfer valuation was met.
Tevez has not played for City since the autumn after an infamous bust-up with Roberto Mancini and the former club captain is presently in Argentina, having returned to his homeland on 7th November.
His trip to South America came two weeks after he was fined a fortnight's wages for his failure to warm up during City's UEFA Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich in September.
"Carlos has said many times before that money has never been a motivation. We reached an agreement with Manchester City in terms of his wages when he returned to Argentina and nothing has changed on that front. Now all Carlos wants to do is get back to playing football."
Carlos Tevez spokesman Quotes of the week
It has been reported City stopped paying wages estimated at £200,000-a-week at the end of November and also fined Tevez six weeks' wages for gross misconduct over his refusal to return.
That fine is currently the subject of an appeal to the Premier League as Tevez's initial challenge was rejected by Blues directors Marty Edelman and Mohamed al-Mazrouei on 7th January. A final verdict is expected by the end of January.
However, as Tevez also forfeited £6m in loyalty bonuses prior to the Bayern episode at the Allianz Arena due to his previous requests to leave City, his dispute with the Premier League leaders has now cost him the quite staggering sum of £9.3m.
The former Manchester United striker's representatives have confirmed an agreement regarding wages is in place with City, but they have insisted their client's only concern is to return to playing.
A spokesman for Tevez , who has two-and-a-half years left on his contract, said in a statement to Sky Sports News: "Carlos has said many times before that money has never been a motivation.
"We reached an agreement with Manchester City in terms of his wages when he returned to Argentina and nothing has changed on that front.
"Now all Carlos wants to do is get back to playing football."
AC Milan or Inter Milan remain Tevez's most likely destinations ahead of next week's closure of the transfer window after Paris Saint Germain decided any deal would be too expensive.
But Al Mubarak, in what is an admirable stance from City against player power, also criticised AC Milan for their conduct and was adamant Tevez would not be sold undervalue.