Sam Allardyce has confirmed West Ham United have enquired about the availability of prolific Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic.
Sky Sports sources revealed on Friday evening that the Hammers had contacted the SPL champions as Allardyce seeks to improve his attacking options.
The West Ham chief has already failed with a bid for Huddersfield Town's Jordan Rhodes and is now trying to add Jelavic to his squad.
"We have enquired in terms of his availability as far as I am concerned, but in terms of a bid that's not my department," said Allardyce after Saturday's 2-1 home win over Nottingham Forest.
Jelavic was the subject of a failed bid from West Ham's Championship rivals Leicester City last summer, while Liverpool and Queens Park Rangers had been linked with January bids.
Rangers boss Ally McCoist is determined to hang on to the Croatia international as he looks to catch Old Firm rivals Celtic in the SPL title race.
McCoist also confirmed on Friday that, following speculation West Ham will offer £6million for Jelavic, the figure would not be enough to secure the forward.
Speaking after Gers' 1-1 home draw with Aberdeen, McCoist confirmed talks have taken place between chairman Craig Whyte and his West Ham counterpart David Sullivan.
"I spoke to Craig today and I believe Craig had a conversation with David Sullivan," said McCoist.
"But Craig was very keen to point out that absolutely no offers had been made at all. I think it was just a pretty informal chat they had."
On speculation linking the player with other clubs south of the border, he added: "That's news to me, I've certainly not been told. The only team where there has been an indication of interest is West Ham."