Thorn relieved after win

Bristol City boss McInnes admits defeat was difficult to take

Andy Thorn: Coventry boss pleased to lead his side to a third home win of the season

Coventry manager Andy Thorn was relieved after his struggling side held out for a precious Championship home win against Bristol City.

Midfielder Gary Deegan was the toast of the Ricoh Arena after bringing a rare victory to the rock-bottom Sky Blues.

The Irish midfielder had been out of the side for two months after suffering an injury, but came off the bench at half-time to fire Coventry to their first win in 12 league matches.

He was on hand to power home a low short in the 72nd minute - leaving Thorn a very nervous spectator.


"We should have had more but I cannot in any way fault the application or the effort."

Andy Thorn

Quotes of the week

Thorn said: "In the first half we were really nervous. I only had one striker fit so we had to go that way.

"It did not work particularly well so we changed it and I thought we epitomised the way we have played in many of our games this season.

"The difference is that today we got the goal.

"We should have had more but I cannot in any way fault the application or the effort. They were terrific.

"Gary has been out for a long time. He was booked with his first tackle and that gave the crowd a lift and they stayed up."

Coventry had been under the cosh in the first half with Nicky Maynard twice going close to firing the visitors in front.

But Thorn changed things at half-time and it paid off as the home side took charge in midfield and started to create the openings.

However, City boss Derek McInnes felt his side were denied a stonewall penalty for a first-half challenge on winger Albert Adomah.


McInnes said: "We had 26 attempts at goal and to do that you have to play well.

"In terms of performance there was a great deal of good about what we did but it is hard to talk about because the most important thing at the moment is results.

"We got it the wrong way round - we put in a good performance but got a disappointing result.

"It is difficult to take because we have come away from here with nothing and we should have won the game.

"Our passing and movement and good play made them anxious and a goal would have made it very difficult for them.

"I thought their boy came through and caught Albert. I spoke to the referee at half-time but he was not too keen to discuss it."