Andre Villas-Boas has dismissed speculation linking Chelsea with a move for Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell.
The Blues were rumoured to be lining up a move for the 20-year when the transfer window reopens next month.
Everton boss David Moyes said on Tuesday that there had been no offers from Chelsea for the 20-year-old and his opposite number echoed that on Wednesday.
Villas-Boas said: "I saw that we'd been linked with him. First, it's important to clarify that it's unfair that I constantly comment on other players.
"In midfield, we don't need players. Rodwell has been playing there this season.
"Midfield is not a sector where we're desperate to strengthen our squad. So at the moment those stories are false."
The Portuguese also said he had no plans to attempt to resurrect a deal to sign Luka Modric, who he comes up against on Thursday.
"In the future, I don't know about Modric," Villas-Boas said. "We're not looking at it at the moment.
"He's an extremely creative player, one of the greatest talents in the world, a player who will have tremendous success."
With Michael Essien set to return from a knee injury in January, Josh McEachran could be sent out on-loan, with Swansea a possible destination.
"It's fair to say we have to look at some proposals for Josh's loan," Villas-Boas added.
"His playing time has not been much.
"But, because of his talent, it's not 100% sure that we'd send him out on loan, even if clubs come in for him."