Adriano Galliani says AC Milan would only try to bring in a striker on loan in January after former coach Carlo Ancelotti recommended the Italian champions sign Nicolas Anelka or Didier Drogba.
Ancelotti spent two years managing Anelka and Drogba at Chelsea and revealed on Monday that he believed either striker would slot in well at the San Siro.
The experienced front men are both out of contract at Chelsea at the end of the season and Andre Villas-Boas has previously ruled out selling either player in the January transfer window.
Milan have been tipped to make a signing in the New Year after Antonio Cassano was ruled out for several months after recently undergoing heart surgery.
Rossoneri vice-president Galliani has acknowledged his admiration for Anelka and Drogba, but has played down talk of a winter swoop following Ancelotti's comments.
Galliani told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "Ancelotti has suggested we take Anelka or Drogba? Ancelotti understands football. Perhaps we will take them both!
"But seriously it is not certain that we'll take someone in January and, eventually, it would be a loan because I promised to keep a place for Cassano.
"Anelka is a major player but I have been in love with Drogba since he played in Marseille."
The Serie A title holders also dismissed rumours of any bid to bring Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli back to Italy in the near future.
Galliani added: "Right now I think it is impossible for any Italian team to think about Balotelli. He has only sympathy for our colours."