Neymar rejected Spanish offers
Brazilian sensation signs contract extension
By Andres Garavaglia & Graeme Bailey. Last Updated: November 10, 2011 10:39am
Neymar: Has shunned Real Madrid and Barcelona to stay in Brazil
Brazilian sensation Neymar has confirmed he shunned a move to Spain in order to stay with Santos.
The 19-year-old, widely regarded as the best teenager in the world, had been expected to join Real Madrid next year after the Spanish giants looked to have beaten most of Europe's top clubs to his signature.
Real thought they had a deal done and hoped Neymar would move to the Santiago Bernabeu at some point in 2012.
But now Neymar has opted to pen a four-year deal with Santos and his agent says that he will not look to move until after the World Cup in 2014, which takes place in Brazil.
Neymar revealed that both Real and Barcelona were contending for his signature.
"There was interest from Spain, but I wanted to stay here because I am very happy," he said.
Neymar explained at a news conference his decision to remain with Santos: "This was the important decision I have made in my life, and my parents helped me decide.
"It is a way of thanking everyone here for all the love I have got, and I am happy to be here until 2014."
Agent Wagner Ribeiro added to Lance. "Neymar is happy to be able to remain with Santos until at least 2014, after that he will decide where to go."