Gers turned down Jelavic bid

McCoist confirms offer in the region of £9million was snubbed

Jelavic: Rangers striker was the subject of a big-money bid on transfer deadline day

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Rangers boss Ally McCoist has confirmed the club rejected a deadline-day offer of around £9million for striker Nikica Jelavic.

The Croatia striker was the subject of interest from an unnamed club hours before the window shut after the Scottish champions had previously rejected a bid of £6.5million from Leicester.

McCoist has admitted relief at retaining the services of one of his key players, who he credits with having a major role to play in Rangers winning the Scottish Premier League title last season.

Asked if Jelavic was the subject of a £9million bid, McCoist said: "There was certainly a bid that came in.

"I can't say the exact figure but it was certainly in that region. I don't know the exact figures to be honest, I was only interested in the fact that it was turned down.

Delighted

"We are all delighted that Nikica hasn't left and I speak for the supporters, the players and the management staff.

"It would have been a massive blow for us to lose Nikica but thankfully we haven't."

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell appeared to mock the reported big-money interest in Jelavic the following day when he said: "Well, last night we got a £29million offer for [Gary] Hooper. From an unknown agent, from an unknown club, from another universe."

Responding to those comments, McCoist said: "I'm over it. Peter was, I think, having a laugh and a joke.

"Who am I to say nobody is allowed to have a laugh and a joke? It's absolutely fine. There are no problems at all with me with Peter's comments."

Puffiness

However, Rangers have been dealt a blow with the news that Jelavic is out of their game at Dundee United after returning from international duty with Croatia with a knee injury.

McCoist said: "He won't travel with us today. He is just feeling the effects of the international break and he's not 100 per cent.

"We will give him another 48 hours and the doctor will have a look at him again on Sunday morning.

"We are hopeful it's just a little bit of a knock, which it looks like at this moment in time.

"There is a little bit of puffiness but nothing major so I would be hopeful he will be involved in next week's Old Firm game."