Barca chief admits Cesc bargain
Barcelona's vice-president admits Cesc Fabregas is worth more than the amount they paid for him after making an impressive start.
By Francisco Acedo
Last Updated: 04/09/11 7:33pm
Barcelona vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu admits Cesc Fabregas is worth more than the amount the club paid for him after making an impressive start to life at Camp Nou.
The Spain midfielder, who returned to boyhood club Barca from Arsenal last month to end a long-running transfer saga, scored on his Primera Liga debut for the Catalan giants to help them to a 5-0 rout of Villarreal.
Fabregas, whose move to the European champions was worth a reported £35million, was also on target in their 2-0 UEFA Super Cup victory over Porto.
Barca chief Bartomeu says after seeing the 24-year-old in action on the pitch and in training he believes he is worth closer to the €60m (£53m) price tag originally bestowed on him by the Gunners.
He told Sport: "After seeing the work he's done since his arrival it is true that Cesc meets the €60m valuation Arsenal initially demanded.
"The kid is demonstrating a high level and quality in three weeks of training. The transfer was very good.
"In a market that is so open Cesc is worth a lot of money.
"The fact that we announced in advance that we would only spend €45m this summer worked to our advantage. Clubs were already aware of our position."
Reports on Saturday night claimed Barca had reached a pre-contract agreement with Santos for Brazil teenager Neymar to sign in two years' time - something the Brazilian club deny - and Bartomeu was coy on the topic.
"He's a great player and young," he said. "There are European clubs who want him. It is Barcelona's obligation to follow young talent who will be good."