Martinez coy on transfer plans
Latics boss refuses to reveal whether he will bid again for Baggies striker
By Chris Burton. Last Updated: August 15, 2011 12:55pm
Martinez: Remains in the market for fresh faces and is an admirer of Odemwingie
Roberto Martinez is unsure whether Wigan will lodge a second bid for Peter Odemwingie, but admits he is looking to add.
The Latics made an approach for West Brom striker Odemwingie over the weekend, with it reported that a £1.5million offer was put to the Baggies.
Roy Hodgson laughed off that bid after watching his side lose 2-1 to Manchester United on Sunday, claiming the Nigerian forward was not for sale.
There have, however, been further developments since then, with skysports.com revealing on Monday that discussions regarding a contract extension for Odemwingie have stalled.
That has opened the door to his ever-growing list of suitors, but Martinez insists he is unaware of what Wigan's next move will be.
"I don't know what will happen on that one," the Spaniard told the Wigan Evening Post.
"He's obviously a player we like which is why we made the bid, but the club that owns the player has the right to do what they like - and that happens in football."
Asked if Odemwingie was being targeted as a direct replacement for Hugo Rodallega, who has been linked with an imminent exit from the DW Stadium, Martinez said: "No, it would be an addition.
"I don't know what players we are going to bring in, that is the reality.
"Although I do know exactly what we need from a character point of view.
"But having lost (Tom) Cleverley and (Charles) N'Zogbia, we are two bodies light.
"We need to bring two players in and that is where as a football club we are working extremely hard."