Liverpool and Newcastle have confirmed a fee has been agreed for Jose Enrique and the Spanish defender has travelled to Merseyside to finalise the deal.
Skysports.com reported earlier on Thursday that the two clubs had reached an agreement, thought to be in the region of £6million, over the highly-rated stopper.
The 25-year-old is entering the final year of his contract at St James' Park and has made it clear he does not want to extend the deal.
He had attracted reported interest from several clubs this summer but the Reds have beaten others to the punch, with Enrique set to negotiate personal terms and undergo a medical at the club later on Thursday.
Manager Kenny Dalglish has been looking for a left-back since selling Paul Konchesky to Leicester last month.
A statement on Liverpool's official website said: "Liverpool FC confirmed today that they had agreed a fee with Newcastle United for the transfer of Jose Enrique.
"The club have now been given permission to discuss personal terms with the player, who will travel to Liverpool to undergo a medical."
Enrique joined Newcastle from Villarreal in 2007 and has emerged as a key figure in the Magpies defence.
However, he recently incurred the wrath of Toon manager Alan Pardew after hitting out at the club's transfer policy on Twitter.
The stopper had said Newcastle's recent transfer deals were undermining the club's chances of challenging for honours in the Premier League, having lost star men Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan to Liverpool and West Ham respectively.
Newcastle will be keen to fill the void left by Enrique if he completes the Liverpool move, having already expressed an interest in PSV defender Erik Pieters.