Sabatini backs Enrique choice

Sporting director must assess Roma squad with new coach

Borriello: Is a big concern for Sabatini

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Roma's sporting director Walter Sabatini has backed the appointment of Luis Enrique as the club's new coach.

Sabatini was appointed last month by Roma's new owner Thomas Di Benedetto.

And this week he discovered he will be working alongside Enrique, who has agreed personal terms for what will be his first managerial position.

The former Spain striker, 41, has been coaching Barcelona's B team and one of his first tasks will be to assess the current squad with Sabatini.

"I thank the club for giving me this great opportunity," Sabatini said on Friday.

"To give our bench to Luis Enrique was a brave choice and he's signed a two-year contract with an option for a third.

"Di Benedetto wants us to win the Scudetto and we are working for this goal, but it can't be said we'll succeed in the next season.

Carte blanche

"The club has given me carte blanche on the market, I have full power.

"I have yet to talk to the players to see who wants to stay and who doesn't but we'll certainly sign a goalkeeper, then for second choice we'll have to see who we keep from those we already have."

Jeremy Menez looks set to leave while Sabatini hopes Daniele De Rossi decides to stay after Roma missed out on Champions League qualification.

Sabatini will also aim to help striker Marco Borriello get back on track after a frustrating finish to the season.

"Menez is a strong player who excites the fans but he has already expressed his discomfort here," he said.

"I think that De Rossi should remain at Roma because with him we are stronger and we will do everything to make this happen.

"As for Borriello, he is a problem because he has special characteristics. He has had a season of two faces - exciting in the first half and depressing in the second.

"We will have to identify the role he should have and if he will accept it. We will talk with him more than others."

Vucinic doubt

Like Menez, Mirko Vucinic has expressed his frustration with life at the Stadio Olimpico, and Sabatini must discuss with Enrique if the Montenegro striker, who has been linked with Juventus, will still be there next season.

"Vucinic is a great striker but talking to the coach of Montenegro, I understand his discontent with his position on the field," he said. "We'll have to talk with the new coach.

Vucinic's agent, Alessandro Lucci, added to Premium Calcio: "Nothing is true (about Juventus), we must first evaluate the situation with Roma.

"The first option is to stay and, for the moment, all the rumours about him leaving Roma shouldn't be taken into account.

"If we have to look for an alternative then, of course, Juventus could be a destination because Mirko has admirers in Turin.

"He has admirers in other places too, but until now there has been nothing concrete."

Meanwhile, Bojan Krkic has been strongly linked with a move to Roma and although his agent, Zoran Vekic, believes it would be a successful move, he remains tight-lipped.

"It would be a perfect wedding but we must wait," he told Radio Mana Mana.

"We must be careful because it is Barcelona's decision and the boy's father would prefer that we don't talk to anyone yet. He works for Barcelona and doesn't want to confuse things."