Jonny Evans insists he did not intend to hurt Stuart Holden after acknowledging his tackle on the Bolton Wanderers midfielder was not 'good'.
The Manchester United defender was sent off during last week's 1-0 win over Bolton for the challenge which has left Holden facing six months on the sidelines with a knee injury.
Holden has absolved Evans of any blame and the USA international revealed earlier in the week that he had received a 'sincere' phone call from the centre-half.
Evans admits he was quick to realise he was guilty of a poor challenge and the Northern Ireland international hopes Holden appreciated his call.
"I just said (to Holden) I was sorry, and that I didn't mean to go in and hurt him," said Evans.
"At the time I did think I'd gone in for a fair challenge and I'd won the ball.
"But looking back on it when I went straight off the pitch and into the changing rooms and saw the tackle again, I realised it wasn't a good tackle from myself - and my concerns were immediately with Stuart.
"Bolton's doctor was keeping me informed, and gave me a call on Monday.
"It was disappointing to hear the news, (so) I just rang him straight away to apologise.
"I think anyone appreciates a phone call if someone's caused them an injury.
"Not many footballers like to be on the treatment table, it's just unfortunate that someone else has caused an injury to you."