Enrique flattered by interest
Spanish full-back considering options
By Graeme Bailey - Follow me on Twitter @graemebailey. Last Updated: February 18, 2011 10:49am
Jose Enrique has dropped a big hint that he is ready to leave Newcastle, after revealing he is flattered by reported interest from Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew confirmed earlier this week that the Spanish full-back had told the club he would not discuss his future until their Premier League status was confirmed.
Now the Spaniard, whose contract expires next year, has revealed he is flattered by talk of rival Premier League clubs monitoring his situation.
"It is flattering that Liverpool are interested," said Enrique in The Sun.
"I've also heard that Manchester United and Aston Villa have asked about me.
"They are both big teams and I'm not closing the door on anyone. I'm ambitious and want to play in the Champions League. I want to win things. I'm OK at Newcastle but I aspire to more.
"I love the fans here and suffered with them when we were relegated. But we have to be realistic. Newcastle aren't performing well."
The 25-year-old has also called on owner Mike Ashley to spend some of the £35million he collected from selling star man Andy Carroll to Liverpool in January.
"The club has promised that all the Carroll money will go towards new players. I hope that is so," he continued.
"But I have been promised things before that have not materialised."
Enrique admits that the club have left themselves short in the playing department, which is hampering their efforts.
"Andy Carroll was a great striker for Newcastle. He was a key player," he said.
"But he is not the only player who has left and now we are short-staffed.
"There are a lot of colleagues who only made their Premier League debuts this year and we have no replacement players for some positions. If we suffer injuries to major players we'll have problems."