Wright eyeing Iron game time
Midfielder eyes starting berth after failing to secure move away
Last Updated: February 5, 2011 2:26pm
Wright: Eyeing starting berth
Josh Wright is determined to win a starting berth back in the Scunthorpe side after failing to secure a move away from Glanford Park.
The former Charlton midfielder had made more than 20 starts for the Iron this term before putting in a transfer request last month in a bid to get a move back south where his family are based.
But the 21-year-old failed to secure a move and found himself frozen out of the Iron starting XI by manager Ian Baraclough.
He has since returned to action as a substitute in the 2-0 defeat at Middlesbrough last time and insists he is determined to give his all while at Glanford Park.
He told the Scunthorpe Telegraph: "I'm willing to stay until the end of the season, I always was.
"It wasn't that I was desperate to get out, it was just to make the club aware that I want to leave.
"It didn't happen for a couple of different reasons. I want to go to the right club and maybe I need to wait to the summer.
"If it happens before, then it does. If not, I'm a Scunthorpe player until the end of the season. And while I'm here, I'll keep giving 100 per cent."
Regarding his failure to start a game since the 5-1 FA Cup defeat to Everton on 8th January, he added: "The gaffer had a decision to make. Whether I'm on the bench for that reason, I don't know. I hope it's not.
"But the gaffer makes the decisions and hopefully he knows what he's doing. If he feels that was right, that was right.
"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about where I could go, but I was always mentally focused.
"Now the window's shut and I'm a Scunthorpe player, I'm probably slightly more focused, but I was anyway.
"If I had been given my chance before, I'm sure I would have taken it.
"I'm not used to being out the team because I played a lot of games up until Christmas time.
"I want to get myself back in there because that's where I belong, out on the football pitch."