Damien Comolli has admitted he is 'surprised' that Liverpool remain an attractive proposition to Europe's leading players.
Comolli, Anfield's director of football strategy, is working alongside manager Kenny Dalglish to strengthen the Reds' squad in the January transfer window.
The Merseyside giants have endured a season to forget, which resulted in Roy Hodgson's departure earlier this month, and are currently in the unfamiliar surroundings of 13th in the table, just four points above the drop zone.
But Comolli, who admitted they were interested in Ajax striker Luis Suarez and Aston Villa midfielder Ashley Young earlier on Friday, revealed their current plight is not proving to be a problem for potential targets.
"I am surprised in a way, given our results, the number of top level players who want to join us," the Frenchman told Canal+ Sport.
"They say that Liverpool is an attractive club and most are also telling me that 'You've had a bad season, but you won't have two'."
The 38-year-old, who formerly worked at Tottenham and Arsenal, also praised Liverpool's American owners for providing the financial backing to improve the squad.
Finding support for striker Fernando Torres is a priority for Liverpool and Comolli admitted they did consider Sunderland's Darren Bent before his £18million-plus transfer to Aston Villa but decided he was not the right fit.
"We thought of him, but we looked at his profile and thought that he would not be very complementary to Fernando Torres," he added.
"He is a player who is, as the English say, a lone wolf. He needs to play alone in attack."
Comolli also welcomed the financial backing of club owners Fenway Sports Group.
"There is no more debt. The owners are willing to invest, there is plenty of money," he said.
"When I first got here, the first question I asked was 'Do I have to lower the payroll?' They said, 'No, the important thing is to win.' It was a great relief for me."