Pulis upset over Ba deal
Tony Pulis is 'disappointed' that Demba Ba will not be joining Stoke after failing a medical.
By Hayley Paterson
Last Updated: 15/01/11 7:31pm
Tony Pulis said he is 'disappointed' that Demba Ba will not be joining Stoke anytime soon after the Hoffenheim striker failed a medical.
The Potters boss knew that the deal had fallen through prior to his side's 2-0 win over Bolton at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday.
He told Sky Sports after the game that everything had been agreed to bring the "exciting" Senegalese forward to Stoke in a reported £7.1 million transfer from the Bundesliga side.
However now Pulis is unsure about whether the deal can be salvaged for the 25-year-old, who had knee surgery last year, although it has not been confirmed what the problem was with the medical.
"We're obviously disappointed it's broke down a little bit from the medical side," said Pulis.
"We'd agreed personal terms with the club and personal terms with the player, it was all within our wage structure and what we could afford.
"We thought he'd be a very, very good player for us, very exciting but unfortunately at the moment there is a stumbling block on his medical so I don't think it's going to go through as we speak but who knows."
He went on: "I am desperately disappointed. You look at him and he has a tremendous scoring record.
"We have been over to watch him three or four times. Everyone has come back with good reports. But we have to put the club first and I understand that.
"As we have progressed as a club, the medical side has progressed as well. They take great responsibility and great care when they look at the players we are trying to bring in.
"The money involved is huge. Obviously they found something which could cause problems later."