Steven Taylor hopes to catch the eye of England boss Fabio Capello after finally committing his future to Newcastle United.
Taylor penned a five-and-a-half-year deal last month following a long period of uncertainty, which threatened to see the defender let his contract expire this summer.
The 24-year-old old insists his intention was always to stay with Newcastle and, having sorted his future out, now has his sights on a return to the England set up.
Former Three Lions boss Steve McClaren once included the centre-half in a squad to face Germany, but Taylor now believes he is a better player and hopes to make his mark.
"Newcastle is where I want to be, hopefully, for the rest of my career. And, if I do well for Newcastle, it may lead to another chance with England," he told the Sunday Mirror.
"Steve McClaren brought me in to get to know the players and get a bit of a sniff.
"But a lot of players came back from injury and I was always going to get knocked down the pecking order.
"I was only 21 then and being in the Newcastle squad that got relegated probably cost me a lot.
"But I am now 24 and playing with a club that is doing well in the Premier League. I just hope I can get back in that England squad at a later date."
New Toon boss Alan Pardew played a pivotal role in convincing Taylor to commit after telling the player what he was desperate to hear.
Taylor said: "The first time I met him he was sat down with my contract in front of him and he said he wanted it sorted out within a week or two.
"He explained he had signed a five-year contract and wanted me to do the same.
"He told me he wanted to work with me day in, day out and said he thought he could develop me and make me a better player. That's all I wanted to hear.
"Now I just have to keep playing well for Newcastle and see what happens."