Inter to appeal Eto'o ban

Star striker banned for three games following head-butt

Eto'o: To appeal ban

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Inter Milan will appeal against the three-match ban imposed on Samuel Eto'o for violent conduct.

SKY SPORTS ON SKY There's more live football on Sky Sports than ever before, including the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Clydesdale Bank Premier League, England away Euro 2012 qualifiers and La Liga. With four live Sky Sports channels, as well as Sky Sports News, you'll never miss a moment on Sky. Click here for more.

The Cameroon striker was punished earlier on Tuesday by Italian football's Disciplinary Commission for head-butting Chievo defender Bostjan Cesar during the 2-1 defeat in Verona on Sunday.

In a Zinedine Zidane-style attack, Eto'o aimed his head into the chest of the centre-back in the 38th minute, but was not reprimanded as the referee did not see the incident.

The Lega Calcio fined Eto'o €30,000 (£25,596) and have since banned him after seeing video replays, but the Nerazzuri will appeal against the decision.

A statement from the club said: "Inter announces that it will appeal against the three-match ban handed to Samuel Eto'o."

Eto'o could now miss games against Parma, Lazio and Fiorentina, and his absence will be keenly felt by manager Rafa Benitez.

The Inter boss is under pressure as they lie nine points behind Serie A leaders and rivals AC Milan.

Eto'o has scored nine league goals so far this season and if the ban is upheld, will only return to top-flight duty when the Italian champions host Napoli on 6th January.

Chievo defender Cesar had caught the African star with a sly punch before the head-butt, and the Slovenia international says there is no bad feeling.

"Of course I didn't like what Samuel did, but I can understand his actions," he said.

"Eto'o had struck me twice with his elbow and then - I admit - I threw a punch at him. After that he ran at me and hit me with his head.