Italian says midfielder baulked at last minute
Fabio Capello says Paul Scholes changed his mind about playing for England at the World Cup on the eve of the manager's squad announcement.
Scholes said he decided against taking a place in the Italian's initial 30-man party, claiming he had been given too little time to mull over a return to international football.
Capello revealed in his announcement he tried to coax the Manchester United man back into a Three Lions shirt, only to be rebuffed.
And now the manager claims Scholes, 35, agreed to link-up with his squad after conversations with assistant Franco Baldini - only to go back on his decision.
"Franco spoke with him in the evening and he said yes," Capello told ITV ahead of England's Euro 2012 qualifier against Bulgaria on Friday night. "In the morning he said no because he preferred to stay at home."
Scholes' international future continues to be subject to conjecture as the new season takes fold, with reports suggesting he could yet be involved in England's Euro 2012 qualifying campaign.
But Capello says the midfielder has also ruled out that possibility, adding: "He said he is too old to play more games and in more competitions.
"He prefers to be okay for Manchester United."