Gago plans to stay at Real
Midfielder does not expect to be a victim of the cull
Last Updated: August 21, 2010 9:06pm
Gago: Does not expect to be sold
Fernando Gago is not worrying about his future at Real Madrid and is confident he will not be sold by the club.
Real are planning to offload some of their fringe players before the close of the transfer window after another busy summer of recruitment at the Santiago Bernabeu.
New coach Jose Mourinho has significantly improved his midfield options by signing the likes of Sami Khedira and Mesut Ozil, and that has placed a question mark over Gago's future.
However, the 24-year-old, who has been a long-term target for Manchester City, insists he will be staying in the Spanish capital.
"I am going to stay with Real Madrid this season," the Argentine told Ole.
"I have already spoken with (sporting director Jorge) Valdano and Mourinho and at no time did they say they wanted to sell me."
Gago has made 88 league appearances for Real but his lack of playing time last season caused him to miss out on a spot in Argentina's squad for the last World Cup.
"I am very comfortable and relaxed here," he said.
"Some players are going to have to leave, but I am staying. I was surprised that things were said about me leaving, because I had already spoken to the coach and to Valdano."
The player's agent Marcelo Lombilla says Mourinho is a fan of Gago, commenting: "Ever since Mourinho arrived, Fernando has been part of the group.
"Some time ago, Madrid rejected a very important offer from (Manchester) City and they did so because he is a player the coach believes is interesting."