Werder Bremen have rejected an offer from Real Madrid for Mesut Ozil, but the Spanish giants are preparing a fresh bid.
Ozil has emerged as one of the most in-demand players in Europe after the playmaker impressed during Germany's run to the World Cup semi-finals.
Barcelona, Chelsea and Manchester United are all rumoured to want the 21-year-old, but Real have tried to steal a march on their rivals.
Real's director of sport Jorge Valdano confirmed on Friday night that a bid had been made for Ozil, but Bremen have reacted quickly to turn down the offer.
"We have received an unacceptable offer that does not even provide any basis for negotiations," said Bremen's director of sport Klaus Allofs.
Bremen face Sampdoria in the UEFA Champions League next Wednesday and, should Ozil take part in that game, that would rule him out of appearing in the competition for another club this season.
Real coach Jose Mourinho is therefore preparing to ask Valdano to return to Bremen with a better bid.
"He is a very good player and I would be delighted were he to come to us," said the Portuguese coach after his side's penalty shoot-out win over Bayern Munich.
"Bremen have said no so we will have to see how things develop.
"If he comes, it would certainly be excellent. Ozil would definitely help us."