Aussie trio vow to play on
Cahill, Kewell and Neill rule out retirement
Last Updated: June 24, 2010 9:30am
Cahill: Proud Australian
Australia trio Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell and Lucas Neill have vowed to continue playing for their country.
It had been speculated a number of the squad were considering retirement following their exit from the World Cup.
However, Cahill and Kewell insist they will keep playing for their country if they are picked for action and have set their sights on the 2014 World Cup.
"I'm a very proud Australian. I'll keep playing for as long as I can," said Cahill.
"I give everything - the only thing that will stop me is serious injury."
And Kewell said he would even consider running out in next January's Asian Cup in Qatar if selected by the Socceroos' new coach.
"If I'm selected, yeah," Kewell said. "I think my brief 25 minutes in the World Cup was enough to show people that I'm back.
"It was a shame that it didn't last."
When asked if he had played his last World Cup game, Kewell said: "No, I don't think I have. No one is talking about retirement.
"I know there is one player who may [retire] but other than that everyone else is up for it."
Australia skipper Neil has set his sights on winning some silverware for his country before quitting the international scene.
As long as I can continue to perform consistently at a level, of course I'm going to help out for the country," Neill said.
"I want to win something for this country.
"I want to give something to these younger guys who might need a bit of guidance.
"The Asian Cup has got to be a target of ours. Let's try and go for some glory."