Anichebe out with injury
Everton striker Victor Anichebe was omitted from the Nigeria World Cup squad due to injury.
Last Updated: 01/06/10 7:26pm
Everton striker Victor Anichebe was omitted from the Nigeria World Cup squad due to injury, the country's Football Federation has revealed.
Anichebe was a surprise exclusion from Swedish manager Lars Lagerback's final 23-man party when it was announced on Monday.
It was thought the 22-year-old, who featured in the Nigerian team that reached the Olympic final in 2008, had simply been overlooked.
But Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi, chairman of the technical committee at the NFF, has said the Toffees forward could not be taken to South Africa due to a chin injury he sustained during Nigeria's warm-up match against Saudi Arabia.
"He was substituted in the game against Saudi Arabia (last week) because of injury," Ogunjobi told the Nigerian Tribune.
"When he went for a scan in Liverpool, it revealed a cracked chin which would take time to heal, and the coach had no option but to drop him."
Ogunjobi also revealed Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel could be included in Nigeria's final warm-up friendly against North Korea on Friday after recovering from a knee problem.
"In the case of Mikel Obi, he is 100 per cent fit but the coach decided to allow him enough rest," he added.
"He may play in the last friendly match against North Korea."
Meanwhile, Nigeria's journey to South Africa was delayed on Monday night due to problems with the plane that was scheduled to take them from Stansted.