Fabio reveals Barry concerns
Gareth Barry will not go to the World Cup if his injury is likely to keep him out beyond England's opener with USA.
By Jamie Casey
Last Updated: 30/05/10 4:23pm
England boss Fabio Capello will not take Gareth Barry to the World Cup if his injury is likely to keep him out beyond their opener with USA.
The Manchester City midfielder has not kicked a ball since being forced off in his club's meeting with Tottenham earlier this month, igniting a race against time to be fit for the World Cup with England.
Capello believes Barry, who has become a key player for England under the Italian, is making good progress but the former Roma boss admits he cannot afford to take a player who is certain to miss more than one game.
Capello told Sky Sports News: "Gareth Barry is getting better and better, the doctor said he is really good, but we have to wait until the last check.
"After this, we will decide if he will be with us in South Africa. He will come if he can train as normal after the first game against USA.
"If it will be longer, he will not be with us."
Capello's side face Japan on Sunday in their final encounter before the boss announces his 23-man squad to attempt to win the tournament for the second time.