A persistent knee problem has forced Blackpool striker Stephen McPhee to retire from playing.
The striker has struggled for fitness after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury during a reserve fixture against Manchester City in April 2009.
The 28-year-old, who joined the Seasiders for an undisclosed fee in January 2008, tried to make a comeback for the reserves earlier this year but has now conceded defeat in his battle to return.
He told the club's official website: "I had appointments with surgeons and specialists and had second and third opinions but eventually you realise there is one real course of action to take.
"Because of the surgery I've had, there is no longer anything in my knee to act as a shock absorber, so it is basically bone on bone.
"That was leading to a bone defect and if I'd have carried on playing, especially at this high level where the training and matches are tough, I would have had severe problems in the long term. Retirement was the only sensible option.
"I hadn't only suffered a cruciate injury but something called a bucket handle tear in my knee as well.
"I had to have an operation to sort that problem out, and then more surgery a month later on the cruciate itself."
But the striker was at least able to bow out on the field at Wembley with his team-mates after the Seasiders' secured promotion to the top-flight by beating Cardiff on Saturday.
McPhee, who made a made a total of 24 appearances for Blackpool, added: "That's why I was so emotional at Wembley, I knew it would be my last time with the lads as a player and I was just so delighted that they achieved what they did because I know how much they deserve it.
"The lads actually winning at Wembley - even though I played no actual part in it - is the highlight of my career."
Meanwhile, Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston has revealed the club hope to start work as soon as possible on completing the revamp of Bloomfield Road.
At present, there is only a temporary stand on the east side of the ground, but the club have already received permission from Blackpool Council to upgrade the ground capcity to 16,000 from 12,555.
Oyston told the Blackpool Gazette: "We are working on the planning consent we have from 2001 for which all the land we require is already in our ownership.
"There are no other issues other than me agreeing terms with the builders and the architects and saying get on with it.
"But we will be able to reveal more details later this week."
While it is doubtful the new stand will be ready in time for the start of the club's first season in the Premier League, Oyston said work will begin "as soon as is realistically possible".