Bresciano - No Saudi deal
Australian midfielder confirms he is looking for a new club
Last Updated: May 20, 2010 3:37pm
Bresciano: Not moving to Saudi Arabia
Mark Bresciano has confirmed he will be leaving Palermo in the summer, but insists he has not signed a contract with Al Nassr.
Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr claimed last week that the Australian midfielder had signed a two-year contract after former Palermo coach Walter Zenga was appointed their new manager.
However, while Bresciano did speak to Zenga about a possible deal with Al Nassr, the 32-year-old is keen to find a new club in Europe after the World Cup finals.
"That deal won't be going through," he said. "Things have been said in the papers that aren't true.
"I'm still a free agent. I'm just concentrating on the World Cup and hopefully I'll stay in Europe.
"He (Zenga) was very keen on me going over there. That's the link.
"I was on the phone to him a lot and he was trying to get me there at all costs. It got close, but it's not the right move for me at the moment.
"I'd love to stay in Italy, but that may be very hard. I want to still challenge myself, so stay in Europe somewhere and play in a tough league."
Bresciano is keen to resolve his future before the World Cup, but he also acknowledged a positive performance in South Africa could generate interest from clubs.
He added: "There's other leagues that I'm still interested in and would like to play in. I guess I have to see what clubs are available. Anywhere in Europe at a decent club where they play football.
"Personally I'd like to have it sorted before the World Cup starts, but I guess it's a massive window, anything can happen.
"If I have a decent World Cup and it could be positive."