Carr has no regrets over rant

Police to investigate Blues defender

Carr: No apology for actions

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Birmingham captain Stephen Carr insists he has no regrets over his actions during the controversial defeat to Aston Villa.

"It's hard not to react like we did. I'm absolutely gutted. It felt like we were robbed"

. Stephen Carr

Quotes of the week

Carr and his team-mates were left incensed after referee Martin Atkinson awarded Villa a late penalty to win the game.

Blues defender Roger Johnson was adjudged to have fouled Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor inside the box, although replays clearly showed that the Birmingham centre-half got the ball before the man.

Carr is under investigation by the FA for appearing to aim an obscene hand gesture at Villa fans following Sunday's game and he also tried to disrupt the penalty spot before James Milner's kick.

Former Republic of Ireland international Carr admits he lost his head during the game, but he has no regrets over his behaviour.

"What was I doing by the spot?" said Carr. "There was something on my shoe I had to get off! No, I was that frustrated.

"Do I regret it? No. Not at all. That's life. You make decisions.

"It's hard not to react like we did. I'm absolutely gutted. It felt like we were robbed.

"I got booked for not moving away from the area but my head had gone, to be honest."

Carr added: "Roger Johnson got the ball. I explained to the ref that you have to see it, you have to be 100 per cent sure if you are going to give a penalty.

"I know sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. But from his distance he could not see whether Roger had got contact with the ball."


Meanwhile, police have confirmed they will investigate allegations that he made gestures towards Villa fans at the end of the game.

A police spokesman told the Birmingham Mail: "West Midlands Police have received a complaint regarding an offensive gesture allegedly made by a player at the end of the Aston Villa-Birmingham City match on Sunday.

"The matter is currently being investigated by detectives and inquiries are ongoing."

A Football Association spokesman said: "We are aware of the incident and will be looking at the referee's report and other available evidence before we decide what to do."

A City spokesman said: "We are aware of the incident and we are looking at it internally."