England coach Fabio Capello insists the door is open for Wayne Bridge to renege on his decision to rule himself out of the summer's World Cup finals.
Earlier on Thursday the Manchester City defender said he had no desire to figure in South Africa as his position with the national side is now, in his words, "untenable".
Bridge came to the decision in relation to the affair between his former Chelsea team-mate John Terry and Vanessa Perroncel, the mother of his young son.
Bridge cannot contemplate sharing a dressing room with Terry, who is such an integral figure in Capello's squad, even though he has been stripped of the captaincy following his much-publicised indiscretions.
However, Capello will try to talk the defender round before he selects his 23-man squad for this summer's extravaganza.
"I was flying back from Milan when Wayne Bridge announced that he would not be with us for the Egypt match and also in South Africa for the World Cup," said Capello.
"It surprised me, but I respect the decision of all the players.
"But the door is always open for him.
"We have time, there is still three months until I will decide my final squad for South Africa.
"I hope that Wayne Bridge will be with us at the World Cup, but I respect his decision."
On Tuesday in South Africa, Capello expressed confidence that Bridge would be involved against Egypt at Wembley next Wednesday, and would almost certainly play given first-choice left-back Ashley Cole has been ruled out for three months with a broken ankle.