Torres out, but no op

No surgery for star striker

Torres: No op

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Rafa Benitez has confirmed that Fernando Torres could be out until December, but he will not be having an operation.

Torres has been plagued with a groin injury, which he has aggravated in recent weeks.

He visited a specialist in Spain last week, and together with Liverpool's medical staff they have decided to rehabilitate him without surgery.

However, Benitez does not know whether he will be fit to face Manchester City in two weeks' time.

"He has to work with the physios and try to improve and be ready," Benitez said.

"We are not talking about an operation at this moment, we're talking about treating him properly.

"I don't know if he will be ready for Man City (in two weeks).

"The only thing I can say is we're talking about two or three weeks working with the physios.

"We haven't got a deadline, we just need to see how he is every day."

Benitez was buoyed by the return of captain Steven Gerrard to action on Monday evening in the draw with Birmingham.

"I think he will be okay," said Benitez.

"We have to check. There's small things but I think he'll be okay."

Worry

However, the Liverpool boss confessed that he was very worried about Albert Riera and Yossi Benayoun, who both limped out of their clash with Birmingham due to hamstring injuries.

"Riera had the same problem as before. The players are sometimes available but not 100 per cent ready," he said.

"We thought he was okay but in the end you can see he wasn't.

"Yossi has the same problem as Riera. Some players are playing too many games in a row. They are working very hard and so you always have this risk. I think both will have tears.

"Dan Agger also had a problem with his back. It's not serious but he felt it a little bit."