Carvalho staying at Chelsea
Ricardo Carvalho is going to stay at Chelsea, despite speculation linking him with a move.
By James Riach
Last Updated: 09/08/09 10:28pm
Ricardo Carvalho has declared that he is going to stay at Chelsea, despite speculation linking him with a move away from Stamford Bridge over the summer.
The 31-year-old central defender has played more than 100 Premier League games for the Blues since signing from Porto in 2004, and was on the scoresheet in the Community Shield win over Manchester United on Sunday.
Despite a highly successful spell in London, Carvalho did not have the best of seasons last time out, and a number of clubs were reportedly eyeing a move for the Portugal international.
Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was rumoured to be trying to bring the defender to Inter Milan, but Carvalho has opted to stay at Stamford Bridge instead of jumping ship.
"Off course I'm staying, but first of all I have to get fit and better for my team-mates," he told Sky Sports.
"Off course last year was a disaster, it was the worst time I've had in my career. I wasn't happy. After that now I have to look forward, but I have to get fit and to help my team-mates."
Inter boss Mourinho will be disappointed with Carvalho's announcement, stating that it has been difficult to arrange a move for his former defender.
"It's very difficult for a Chelsea player to come to me," he said. "Every time I'm interested in one of their players, it looks different."