Mark Hughes has warned that time is starting to run out in Manchester City's pursuit of Joleon Lescott.
City have reportedly had bids of £15 million and then £18 million rejected for the coveted Everton defender.
Hughes now wants to secure the player's signature as quickly as possible and has warned the club will move on if a deal can not be done.
He said: "We have to make a decision on any player we are pursuing.
"If we feel a certain deal has run its course, we will look elsewhere.
"Whether we have reached that stage with Joleon only time will tell.
"Obviously we can do deals right to the end of the transfer window.
"However, we would prefer to do our business as quickly as possible, ideally by the end of this week."
Meanwhile, the City boss has played down an injury scare surrounding Kolo Toure, who lasted just 18 minutes of Saturday afternoon's 2-1 victory over Celtic at Eastlands after reporting soreness in a hip problem that developed last week.
But Hughes insists the former Arsenal defender should be fit for next Saturday's Premier League opener at Blackburn.
He said: "He (Toure) had treatment on a rash at the top of his hip this week and felt quite comfortable, which was why I picked him.
"But after about 10 minutes, he said it was bothering him, so we took him off straightaway.
"I don't anticipate it will be too much of a problem and he should be okay for next week."