Everton striker Victor Anichebe admits he is relishing the opportunity of fighting new boy Nikica Jelavic and Denis Stracqualursi for a starting berth.
The 23-year-old Nigerian international was the Toffees' hero on Saturday as he helped secure a valuable 1-1 draw against Wigan at the DW Stadium.
And, following the sale of Louis Saha to Tottenham during the January transfer window, Anichebe is now ready to take his chance and hold down his place in the starting XI.
The player, who is the club's top scorer this season with four goals, said in the Liverpool Echo: "I'm not looking to fight anyone or whatever.
"Competition is great for the team. I think we needed another striker, especially with Louis going out and Nikica has a great record in Scotland.
"I've spoken to him a bit and he's a great lad. Denis was unbelievable against City, and Tolis (Apostolos Vellios) is fighting as well.
"If you go into every game knowing you'll play it can be like going through the motions. But if you need to fight, you have to take a chance so it can only be good."
Anichebe also admits he would rather lose the tag of super-sub after previously scoring to secure draws at Wigan and Aston Villa, and a win at West Brom.
"I tried to rubbish that super-sub tag from the Europa League a few years back but it seems to be following me round. I couldn't tell if it was my first touch but it was a valuable touch," he said.
"Hopefully I can start a few more games soon. The manager keeps putting me in and then taking me out and just trying to help me really.
"Obviously I have had the injuries and I hadn't trained for a few days before Wigan so it is important to be careful."