Wolf joins Monaco

Defender's departure makes economic sense for Bremen

Andreas Wolf: Has joined Monaco for an undisclosed fee

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Defender Andreas Wolf has left Werder Bremen and joined Monaco for an undisclosed fee.

The former Nurnberg captain leaves Weserstadion after just six months of service and has signed a three-year-contract with the French Ligue 2 outfit.

Wolf, 29, had last summer joined Bremen on a Bosman transfer and had a contract until June 2013.

He had until Christmas been a first-team regular, but was recently struggling with a calf injury and Bremen were happy to accept money for his departure.

Bremen general manager Klaus Allofs told the club's official website: "We have always said we would sit down to discuss any lucrative enquiry that would appear to us in this respect.

Profit

"This transfer is economically a good one. Andreas Wolf came to us. He wanted us to consider this enquiry. We agreed the deal in the end."

The departure may represent a financial profit for Bremen, but it leaves them short of defensive options given the broken nose and jaw suffered last weekend by Sebastian Prodl.

Bremen could also risk losing goalkeeper Tim Wiese, who at the end of the season will be out of contract and claims to have yet been offered a definite extension.

Over the weekend, he told Spiegel Online: "I have yet to receive concrete terms from Werder Bremen. My future beyond the summer is therefore undecided."

Bremen have already seen outgoings in the January transfer window and last week loaned forward Sandro Wagner to relegation-threatened Kaiserslautern for 18 months.

The two teams on Saturday drew 0-0 in the Bundesliga, but Wagner was not allowed to play under the terms of his loan.