Select a Team

The FA Cup sponsored by Budweiser

Goodison Park (ATT 33,086) 5th January 2008 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: Uriah Rennie

Everton Everton vs Oldham Athletic Oldham


Oldham 1

Oldham stun Everton in cup

McDonald the hero as League One side progress

Last Updated: 05/01/08 5:58pm

  • Share:
McDonald: Goal hero

McDonald: Goal hero

A Gary McDonald goal helped League One side Oldham claim the scalp of Premier League Everton in the FA Cup third round at Goodison Park.

McDonald's looping first-half injury-time shot from outside the box beat Everton keeper Stefan Wessels and proved the difference between the teams.

A lacklustre Everton could not reply, with this match perhaps a game too far after the Toffees' fantastic recent run.

The nearest they came to an equaliser was when substitute Yakubu hit the post in second-half injury time from a James McFadden head-down.

Everton boss David Moyes may well have put out a much-changed side with seemingly bigger matches to come, but he could not have expected to see his team embarrassed to this extent.

A chip shop fire opposite the main stand delayed the start for 30 minutes, with many fans unable to get into the ground.

Once the game got going, Everton made the livelier start. They should have been ahead inside a minute when James Vaughan was clear in the box, only for veteran goalkeeper Mark Crossley to save at his feet.

Glorious chance

Alan Stubbs nodded an inviting ball across the six-yard box soon after, with Andrew Johnson not quick enough to take advantage of the glorious chance.

Then Vaughan's control created the space for McFadden to drive just wide from 10 yards out.

But Oldham survived that early burst and started to get forward themselves, with Hughes and Craig Davies prominent.

When Wessels flapped badly at a right-wing cross, both Hughes and Davies had chances to punish the German goalkeeper as the ball fell in the six-yard box on 27 minutes.

Hughes then fired an angled drive wide of the far post, with Everton looking rattled and making mistakes.

Oldham were determined and confident, and Deane Smalley was allowed far too much time to control the ball before producing a hook shot that brought the best out of Wessels, pushing the ball past his left-hand post at full stretch.

When Everton did start putting their game together, it took a goal-line clearance from Kelvin Lomax to keep out a McFadden drive on 41 minutes.

But in first-half injury time McDonald struck an excellent goal to give Oldham the lead, sending their 6,000 travelling support wild.


Moyes had to throw on the heavy mob in the second half, Yakubu and Victor Anichebe replacing Vaughan and Thomas Gravesen on 64 minutes to beef up Everton's front line.

Anichebe and Yakubu both missed in the six-yard box before Moyes threw on Joleon Lescott with 16 minutes to go in place of Leighton Baines.

Anichebe was not quick enough to get on the end of a hooked cross from McFadden, but Everton were still making errors, giving the ball away, and seeing Oldham hit them on the break.

Hughes ran Stubbs ragged as Oldham looked for an unlikely second, and with six minutes left they sent on John Thompson for Lomax, fresh legs to keep Everton out.

Yakubu hit the post in injury-time, but that was as close as a distraught Everton got.


Team NameEvertonOldham Athletic
Shots On Target22
Shots Off Target64
Blocked Shots13
Fouls Conceded99
Yellow Cards00
Red Cards00

  • Share:


  • The FA Cup sponsored by Budweiser

    Sat 5th Jan - Third Round