Select a Team

Sky Bet Championship

Oakwell Stadium (ATT 11,285) 15th November 2008 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: C Webster

Barnsley Barnsley vs Watford Watford


Foster fires Tykes to victory

Watford suffer as hosts hit back at Oakwell

Last Updated: 15/11/08 7:14pm

  • Share:
Foster: Winning goal

Foster: Winning goal

New club captain Stephen Foster scored the winner as Barnsley hit back to defeat struggling Watford at Oakwell.

Foster, who has taken over the role from Brian Howard, struck from close range with just 19 minutes remaining for his third of the season.

Tommy Smith had earlier seen his second-half opener for the Hornets cancelled out by substitute Miguel Mostto in the 69th minute.

Foster's winner ensured Barnsley ended a troubled seven days on a high.

Striker Iain Hume is recovering in hospital after fracturing his skull against Sheffield United last week, while manager Simon Davey was charged with improper conduct by the Football Association after being sent to the stands in the same match.

Tykes striker Jon Macken and Spanish midfielder Diego Leon both threatened to break the first-half deadlock.

But Watford, who parted company with manager Adrian Boothroyd 12 days ago, twice went close themselves through Hungarian striker Tamas Priskin.

Barnsley made much the better start and could have been two goals up in the first 20 minutes.

Leon set the early trend with a second-minute shot blocked by Watford defender Ross Jenkins, before Macken's goalbound header was well-saved by Richard Lee.

Dennis Souza got in the way of Lee Williamson's 20-yard volley at the other end, but the Tykes were soon back on the attack.


Spanish midfielder Leon was a whisker wide with a 25-yard effort, and Macken then hit the bar with an angled drive from the edge of the penalty area.

But it was not all one-way traffic. Williamson curled a shot just wide, and Priskin's venomous shot brought the best out of Barnsley goalkeeper Heinz Muller.

Priskin was then wayward from only 12 yards as Watford finished the first half strongly, and Jon Harley forced Muller into another fine save with a left-footed shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Watford edged ahead seven minutes after the restart when Jobi McAnuff's cross from the right was met first time by Tommy Smith, who converted from six yards.

Barnsley responded through Leon, who headed Bobby Hassell's cross wide, while Campbell-Ryce forced Lee to save with his feet.

Smith went close to putting Watford 2-0 up when firing a 25-yard shot just over the crossbar, but the Tykes turned the game on its head with two goals in as many minutes.

Mostto finished clinically from inside the penalty area in the 69th minute low into the corner, and after Campbell-Ryce had forced Lee into two more superb saves in the space of 30 seconds, Foster edged the home side ahead.

Watford failed to clear the ball from their penalty area following a corner and Foster pounced to despatch a right-footed finish from six yards.

Macken and Williamson swapped long-range shots that were blocked and held respectively before Leigh Bromby blazed his volley high and wide when well-placed to level for the visitors.

Muller was forced into another super save in time added on by Will Hoskins, but Barnsley held on to clinch their third win in four league matches.

  • Share:



Sky Bet Championship

Sky Bet Championship
Pos Team P Pts
1 Derby County 13 26
2 Watford 13 25
3 Middlesbrough 13 23
4 Wolverhampton Wanderers 13 23
5 Norwich City 13 22
6 Nottingham Forest 13 22
7 Charlton Athletic 13 22
8 Bournemouth 13 21
9 Ipswich Town 13 20
10 Cardiff City 13 19
11 Blackburn Rovers 13 19
12 Brentford 13 19
13 Sheffield Wednesday 13 18
14 Rotherham United 13 16
15 Leeds United 13 16
16 Huddersfield Town 13 16
17 Reading 13 15
18 Millwall 13 14
19 Wigan Athletic 13 12
20 Brighton and Hove Albion 13 12
21 Birmingham City 13 11
22 Fulham 13 11
23 Bolton Wanderers 13 8
24 Blackpool 13 6