Select a Team

Capital One Cup

Old Trafford (ATT 43,673) 26th October 2005 - Kick off 20:00 Ref: R Beeby

Man Utd Manchester United vs Barnet Barnet


Barnet 1

Ten-man Bees sunk by United

By Adam Marshall.   Last Updated: 26/10/05 9:45pm

  • Share:

Manchester United brushed Barnet aside 4-1 in an extraordinary Carling Cup tie at Old Trafford that saw Bees keeper Ross Flitney sent off with less than two minutes on the clock.

The Barnet shot-stopper inexplicably lost his bearings and handled outside the box, with referee Richard Beeby applying the letter of the law to show no leniency in reducing the visitors to ten men. The unfortunate Louie Soares was replaced by substitute keeper Scott Tynan.

Sporting an eye-catching haircut, Scouser Tynan's first act was to pick the ball out of the net as he could get no more than a feint touch to Liam Miller's free kick.

Tynan fared better with two set-pieces from Kieran Richardson before the England international saw a free kick deceive the Barnet keeper and bounce into the net to make it 2-0 on 19 minutes.

Barnet had already seen a goal ruled out by then, Giuliano Grazioli's effort disallowed for off-side, and the laid-back Gerard Pique was fortunate to escape with what looked a clear hand-ball inside his own area.

This was far from the walkover it should have been as United's shadow side toiled at times, though Richardson clipped the bar with a cross, Adam Gross headed an effort from the impressive, languid Richie Jones off the line and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake had a penalty appeal turned down following Gross's clumsy challenge.

Giuseppe Rossi did not look at his sharpest and blazed a pass from the excellent Adam Eckersley over the top while Tynan did have to make a smart stop to keep out Miller's deflected drive.

The second half was only six minutes old when Rossi showed his class with expert control and an instant finish applied to Lee Martin's firm cross. Martin was given a rough ride throughout, something he will have to get used to due to his style, and he was finally forced off with a back injury after being sent crashing into the advertising hoardings.

It should have been the signal for a rout but United took their foot off the pedal again. Dwane Lee sent a free kick wide before the noisiest section of the 42,000 plus crowd were given something to cheer when Pique comically slipped on the edge of his box to gift Dean Sinclair a moment he will never forget. Tim Howard was easily rounded and Sinclair slipped the ball into an empty net.

Rossi and Ebanks-Blake had only been given one other sight of goal in the half, when Ismail Yakubu dallied unforgivably only to escape punishment, but they were to get in on the act to round off a 4-1 victory. Miller's chip fed Rossi who unselfishly stood back to allow his strike partner Ebanks-Blake to claim his first goal for the senior side.

A strange game ended with the Hertfordshire side milking the applause from their supporters while Sir Alex Ferguson will take some heart from the performances of the likes of Jones and Eckersley in particular.

Man UnitedTeam StatisticsBarnet
21st Half Goals0
9Shots on Target2
4Shots off Target4
1Blocked Shots0
3Yellow Cards1
0Red Cards1