Select a Team

The FA Cup

Ewood Park (ATT 28,691) 1st March 2005 - Kick off 20:00 Ref: H Webb

Blackburn Blackburn Rovers vs Burnley Burnley

Pedersen strike sinks Clarets

By Peter ORourke.   Last Updated: 01/03/05 9:45pm

  • Share:

Morten Gamst Pedersen's late goal fired Blackburn into the quarter finals of the FA Cup after a 2-1 win over Burnley.

The Norwegian winger struck four minutes from time to send Rovers through to the last eight after Micah Hyde had cancelled out Tugay's deflected opener.

The game started off in fast and frenetic fashion and Robbie Savage was booked after just three minutes for clattering into Tony Grant.

Pedersen missed a good chance for Rovers on five minutes when Lucas Neill picked him out unmarked inside the box, but on the stretch Pedersen could only fire his shot well over the top.

Burnley created their first half chance on 20 minutes when John Oster worked a neat corner to work his way into the box, but Aaron Mokoena deflected his cross away from danger.

Oster had another sight of goal on 25 minutes when Mo Camara burst down the left and crossed for the Welshman on the edge of the box, but he blazed his shot over the crossbar.

Blackburn broke the deadlock on 31 minutes and became the first team to score against Burnley in the FA Cup this season with a somewhat fortuitous goal.

Burnley failed to clear Savage's free kick properly and the ball dropped to Tugay 35 yards out who struck a shot which took a wicked deflection of Micah Hyde to wrong-foot Brian Jensen.

The Championship side tried to respond and Mokoena got in a vital block to deny Ian Moore directing Oster's cross goalwards.

Burnley drew level three minutes before the break with Hyde making amends for his role in Blackburn's goal.

There looked very little on for Hyde when he collected the ball on the edge of the box from a throw in, but he produced an exquisite lob with his left-foot to beat Brad Friedel and keep Burnley's Cup hopes alive.

Blackburn came close to restoring their lead seconds after the restart when stand-in skipper Ryan Nelsen saw his header from Pedersen's corner well saved by Jensen.

Moore tried his luck a minute later with an instinctive volley on the edge of the box which fizzed wide of the post.

Nelsen really should have scored on 53 minutes when he again met another Pedersen corner six yards out, but his downward header into the ground somehow bounced over the crossbar.

Both sides struggled to create any real goalscoring opportunities as the snow began to fall at Ewood Park.

The game looked set to go into extra time until Pedersen popped up four minutes from time with the winner.

Pedersen saw his initial cross cleared by Frank Sinclair only for it to fall nicely to him inside the box, and he fired in ferocious shot which flew past Jensen at his near post to the send the home fans into delirium.

The win sets up a home tie with Leicester for Blackburn in the quarter finals.

Team NameBlackburn RoversBurnley
Shots On Target52
Shots Off Target72
Blocked Shots60
Fouls Conceded1317
Yellow Cards12
Red Cards00


  • The FA Cup

    Tue 1st Mar - Fifth Round